If you’re a digital art lover and spend some time on social media, your feed has probably been taken over, at some point, by pictures of people with their face looking half like a cartoon.
This trend was the #ToonMe challenge and it was kicked off by artist & illustrator René Córdova (unless I got it completely wrong, in which case please let me know in the comments).
I couldn’t resist giving this #toonme challenge a try, with a twist, since my version is not digital art but makeup!
I also wanted my “toonme” transformation to evoke magic and so I decided to create a few accessories :
- a flask full of “toonme” magic potion
- its cork with a cartoon looking potion drop on it
- a cartoon looking lock of hair
- half of my strapless top that would also look like a cartoon
Sure, the accessories took me longer than the makeup itself and ended up in the trash (except for the little flask, I just loved it too much) but who cares!
Oh, and the challenge is no longer super popular on social media because I always find out about trends weeks after everybody’s raged about them -_- and they’re now like “oh no not that trend again” lol.
But I don’t care ! Trends come and go.
I had a really good time turning half myself into a cartoon and I want to share the transformation process with you ! 🙂
Let’s take a look at the step by step pic, shall we?
Step By Step
The makeup took me about 5 hours. It might sound like a long time but I had to take pictures and film and I talk a lot while I film lol… also I wasted quite some time at the end while trying to take the right pictures for Instagram, because I had a hard time holding the flask in one hand and the cork in the other while clicking the button on my remote… also my silly tiktok challenge didn’t help but that’s another story ^^ (you can follow me on tiktok by the way, I post all kinds of weird makeup videos there lol)
See? I told you I talk a lot lol. Now, let’s get back to business. The pictorial.
Be your natural, beautiful self. Always the best version of yourself, remember !
Prep your skin with moisturizer.
Apply foundation, do some contouring, do your brow (if they’re annoying like me and stopped growing due to excessive tweezing), put on a little bit of blush and highlight.
Do your eye makeup, put on false eyelashes for extra drama and do your lips.
Block out your other eyebrow with glue stick and compact powder.
Put on a slightly lighter foundation on the ‘toon’ side of your face.
Use the same lip crayon (or lipstick) you used on the other side, go slightly overboard so your toon lips will look bigger, outline the outer corner of your upper lip with a a dark purple eyeshadow and then outliner the toon lips with brown and black eyeliner.
Make the lips look shiny with white paint on the bottom lip.
Add a shadow below the bottom lip and draw a curved small brown line. This will give your lips a more cartoony finish.
Contour the shape of your nose with a dark brow contouring powder. Then using brown and black eyeliners, draw cartoon lines around the tip and nostrils.
Highlight with light contouring powder and make the nose shiny with two white dots on the tip of your nose and on the outside of the nostril.
With a white crayon, draw the shape of your toon eye. Draw the pupil. Fill in the white area with white paint, or white crayon or white eyeshadow (use eyeshadow base first for better coverage).
Fill in with your actual eye color. Mine are brown / amber
Outline the pupil and the eye. Add an iris (I used the round cap of an eyeliner and put paint on it so it’d be easier to draw a circle on my lid). Have you ever tried to paint a circle on your lid? That’s right ! ^^
Add a winged eyeliner and eyelashes.
Make the eye shine with two white dots inside it, a big one in the upper outside corner and a smaller one in the inner corner.
Do the toon eye makeup as well (over the eyebrow) using the same eyeshadows you used on your other eye
With black eyeshadow, draw your toon eyebrow. Add hairs over the brow shape and outline the brow with a black eyeliner.
For a more fun picture I glued a fake toon lock of hair and a cartoon looking strapless top (made with paper). I added a few black cartoon style lines on the chest, collar bone, chin, cuppid’s bow… on and because I have a freckle on the left side of my face (the right one on the pic) I decided to put it there, just “slightly” bigger lol.
As you can see I’m also holding the magic flask in one hand and the dripping cork in the other. And voilà ! Job’s done !
Making of the Flask
Here’s a short video of the making of the flask !
And if my above step by step weren’t clear enough (sorry about that ^^) here’s the tutorial for this makeup !
You might be wondering what products I used for this makeup so here’s the complete list :
– Pai Skincare, Chamomile & Rosehip Calming Day Cream
– NYX Professional Makeup, ‘Born To Glow’ Naturally Radiant Foundation, ‘Medium Olive’ (beauty side)
– Maybelline New York, Dream Matte Mousse Foundation + Mattifying Primer, 30 Sable (toon side)
– NYX Professional Makeup, Highlight & Contour Pro Palette
– Makeup Revolution, I <3 Revolution, Eye Scream Highlighter
– Makeup Revolution, ‘Isn’t it Peachy’ Blush Palette
– Leclerc, ‘Esquisse’ Glue stick
– Biguine Paris, Compact Powder, ‘Hâlé’
– Angelik Iffennecker, Eyebrow Pencil, ‘Le Sourcil’
– Yves Rocher, Botanical Color Eyeshadow, n7 ‘Brun Café Mat’
– Me Now, Lip Pencil, nB64, nB66
– NYX Professional Makeup, #thisiseverything Lip Oil (beauty side only)
– Makeup Revolution, ‘Be Obsessed With’ Palette (toon side)
– NYX Professional Makeup, Eyeshadow Base, White
– Urban Decay Cosmetics, Naked Palette, ‘Smokey‘
– Makeup Revolution, ‘Slime’ Palette ; ‘Blood’ Palette ; ‘Flawless Matte‘ Ultra Eyeshadows ; ‘Reloaded‘ Iconic Division Palette
– Profusion, ‘Chestnut‘ Eyes Palette
– Kraze FX, 12 Fundamentals Palette
– Makeup Revolution, SFX Ultimate Face Paint Palette
Crayons & Liners
– Me Now, White Crayon
– NYX Professional Makeup, ‘Epic Ink‘ Liner ; White Liquid Liner ; ‘Vinyl‘ Liquid Liner ; Vivid Brights Colored Liquid Liner, ‘Vivid Delight‘
– BYS Cosmetics, ‘1 Day Tattoo’ Liquid Eyeliner Pen, Black
– Maybelline, MasterPrecise Liquid Eyeliner, ‘Forest Brown’
– Makeup Revolution, Matte Fix Mattifying Fixing Spray
– Maybelline New York, ‘Lasting Fix’ Loose Setting Powder
– NYX Professional Makeup, Eye Base, White
– Arison Lashes, False Eyeslahes, M02
If you liked this ToonMe makeup you might also like my SketchMe one ! Check it out here !
I’ll be seeing you soon with another tutorial and in the meantime take care and laugh a lot ! Why? ’cause I said.